What do you need to hire a car and what else should you bring along, when planning an epic road trip or UK break?
As a trusted vehicle hire company, one of the questions we are most often asked is: what documents do you need to hire a car?
In this article, we’ll run through what paperwork is required to hire a car from Caversham Vehicle Hire. We will also provide helpful suggestions for the summer road trip essentials that you won’t want to forget…
What documents do you need to hire a car from Caversham Vehicle Hire?
Here at Caversham Vehicle Hire, we make car hire very simple and straightforward.
The only documents required to hire a car from us are the following:
- A full valid UK driving licence – either the photo card or the older paper licence*. This is because we need to see that you are eligible to drive the vehicle that you intend to hire.
*Please note: if you have the old paper-style licence then we will also need to see another form of photo ID – such as a passport – in order to verify your identity.
- Your National Insurance number – we will need your NI number in order to carry out an online DVLA check. This is so that we can see whether you have any penalty points, endorsements, disqualifications, or driving convictions.
What paperwork do you need to hire a car in the UK?
As well as seeing your driving licence and using your National Insurance number to obtain a DVLA licence check code, we will also need to have one other form of identity – such as a recent utility bill or bank statement – which shows your name, street address and postcode.
Please note: full details, as above, are required for each named driver.
What documents do you need to hire a car, if you hold a foreign driving licence?
If you have a foreign driving licence then it is likely that you will still be able to hire a car from us, depending on the country where your licence was issued.
If the driving licence you hold was issued in the EU, USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand, we can accept your hire booking, as long as the following documents are provided:
- foreign driving licence
- another form of ID
- confirmation of your home address, in your country of residence
- the address/es you are staying at in the UK
If you hold a foreign licence from another country – one that is not listed above – then we will need to refer your licence to our insurers and verify it, prior to confirming your booking request. Due to the additional administration that is required, we need as much notice as possible.
Please feel free to contact us to discuss your car hire requirements. One of our friendly customer service team will be on hand to help. You can also contact us via email – we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Are insurance documents needed to hire a car?
We include insurance for one driver as part of our quote and rental agreement, but if you should opt out and choose to insure the vehicle yourself, you will also need to have your valid insurance details to hand – see our Ts & Cs for more details.
If you have any other questions about what is needed to hire a car then please don’t hesitate to contact us before you are due to collect your vehicle. A member of our friendly team will be happy to answer any questions you might have about our car hire requirements, so that vehicle collection is quick and efficient.
What other road trip essentials should you bring along?
We are proud to offer a fleet of vehicles at very competitive prices. With a car hire selection that ranges from small and compact to executive saloons, as well as 4x4s, a UK adventure is just a few steps away.
For the ultimate summer road trip, with friends or family, we recommend packing the following essentials:
- Satellite navigation – sat-nav systems are available to hire from Caversham Vehicle Hire as an added extra
- Phone charger lead or wireless charging pad – if you’re relying on your phone for navigation, a charger is essential
- Refillable water bottle
- Sunglasses – to reduce glare when driving
- A basic first aid kit
- Pillows and a blanket – for the comfort of your passengers
- A car window/windscreen sunshade – important if you’re travelling with children
- Your car insurance details
- Your car rental agreement
- Your driving licence
Quality car hire from Caversham Vehicle Hire
We hope our article has provided some clarity on the documents needed to hire a car from Caversham Vehicle Hire. With a quality hire car and additional tips about in-car essentials, your summer road trip should be a huge success.
If you have any questions about the requirements for renting a car, please contact a member of our friendly team on 01189 476 500. We look forward to hearing from you!