All you Volkswagen lovers out there will be revelling in this month’s new and exciting launch of the sporty Polo GTI! But let’s take a closer look at it so we can see it in all its glory!
With its predecessor, the Golf GTI, holding its world premier back in 2013 at the Mondial de l`Automobile in Paris, the German manufacturer kept in line with the Paris tradition for its launch of the new Polo GTI this October.
The Polo originally debuted nearly 30 years ago back in 1985 with the Polo G40. This year sees the Polo’s fourth generation with the sporty and impressive Polo GTI. With a new 1.8 TSI engine, which is 12 PS more powerful than the previous model’s 1.4 TSI engine, the Polo GTI brings something fresh and very attractive to the table.
Close to R WRC?
The R WRC is by far the most powerful Polo out of the lot, as evidenced by its World Rally Championship for Volkswagen Motorsport victory in 2013. However, with the launch of the Polo GTI, the gap is now closing as it shows very similar, if not the same, attributes.
- The Polo GTI has a top speed of 236 km/h, and falls short by just 7 km/h compared to the R WRC’s 162 kW/220 PS.
- The Polo GTI can go from 0 – 100km/h in 6.7 seconds, whereas the R WRC achieved this in a nifty 0.3 seconds.
- Finally, the Polo GTI’s fuel consumption is 5.6l/100km, whereas the R WRC comes in at 7.5L/100km. So, the Polo GTI wins on this one!
Design and Features
Available in both 2-door and 4-door versions, with new bumpers, original wheels and red radiator grille strips, the car has an overall dynamic and sporty appearance.
The Polo GTI comes in an impressive range of seven colours to chose from including; Blue Silk, Oryx White, Black, Flash Red, Reflex Silver, Deep Black and Pure White.
The front section (exterior)
- LED headlights
- Red strip framing the radiator grille
- Newly designed honeycomb grille at each side of the fog lights
- Spoilers used in motor sports in high-gloss black
The rear section (exterior)
- Flared door sills
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- GTI styled red brake callipers
- Rear spoiler
- Dark red tail light clusters
- Chrome dual exhaust tailpipe.
- Leather steering wheel, gear stick and handbrake all with contrasting red stitching.
- Floor mats with red borders.
- Driver and passenger heated sports seats, upholstered in Clark cloth adhering to the black and red colour scheme.
- Footwell lighting
- Touch infotainment system
- Heated windscreen washer nozzles
After taking a closer look into Volkswagen’s latest release, it certainly leaves us pondering over what could be next…
Caversham Vehicle Hire
Here at Caversham Vehicle Hire, we offer fantastic long and short term hire cars to our customers at affordable rates. Our range of small, compact cars includes the VW Polo as one of our most reliable motors. For more information about our services, please feel free to get in touch with us today.